Thursday, April 24, 2008

A fuzzy little friend...

Most of you know my absurd infatuation with squirrels, more commonly known in these parts as "tree rats."
I know they can be a pain and cause havoc in most backyards but my heart just melts when I see one bounce across the backyard with their bushy tails. Okay enough of that...

Tuesday night Tim comes home from work, comes in the house, then returns to his car for something and see this little bitty thing sprawled on the driveway.

He knew it wasn't there a minute ago so he knew the mom must not be far. I move the baby off the driveway to our flowerbed, just for safety and comfort reasons. He was chirping so loudly for Mom and was shaking. Soon after these pictures were taken he crawled off the towel and under a tulip to hide. I did my best to find help for the little guy. There are no rescue centers open in the evening that could help. So I left messages at some places and searched the Internet. All information said to wrap the baby in a blanket and put it in a box on a heating pad. Well I love these little critters but not enough to bring him inside the house where my children are and get stuck with him. My head knew better but my heart didn't.
So against my heart I left him outside hoping his Mom would find him before something else did, but not before putting a clean extra baby blanket near him so he could curl up if he got cold.

Tim and I checked in the morning and the little guy was gone. I'm going to be very optimistic and naive and hope that the Mom found him that night and not the local kitty cat. I hope we did the right thing.

*On a side note, thank goodness I didn't bring it inside because not a single rescue center called me back so I would of gotten stuck with the lil guy. How's that for caring for the animal kingdom? *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww... so cute! Lets just hope that his mom came for him. Remember the time we had 10 little baby squirrels in the trailer? The mom screamed at me for hours until we could get them all outside.
All God's creatures are awesome...well.. except for skunks!

Mom W.